srearley

Suzanne Reads

I love books.

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast

Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast - I have read this before, quite awhile ago, but after reading [b:Beastly|544891|Beastly (Kendra Chronicles, #1)|Alex Flinn|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1334260193s/544891.jpg|532177], I decided I needed to reread this one to see if it was as good as I remembered.Happily, the answer is yes. It's funny, I couldn't have told you exactly how it went, until I started reading it, but my memory was only about a chapter or so ahead of where I was, in terms of what I could remember.It is pretty much a straight fairy tale telling of the story, albeit with lots of details fleshing it out. There were a few oddities: for most of the book, it feels like one of those once upon a time, in another fairy tale land, but then she makes a reference to the minotaur from Greek mythology, and after some other references, it seems that maybe we are in OUR world, albeit many hundreds of years in the past, but with magic. This was a bit jarring, but didn't make much of a difference in my enjoyment.Even though this wasn't updated for modern, or retold in a new or unique way, it was satisfying with lots of beautiful descriptions of scenery, gardens, clothing, and more. I'm usually a skim-past-the-boring-description kind of a girl, but McKinley writes it so beautifully, it draws me in.